TOP TIPS FOR STAYING SAFE IN THE SUN
At Soltan, we are well aware of the dangers of UV rays, which penetrate into the skin, causing sunburn, long-term skin damage and premature ageing. That’s why we’re here with on-hand, expert advice for staying safe in the sun.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UVA AND UVB
There are two types of UV rays that affect our skin: UVA and UVB. UVB rays cause immediate damage such as sunburn on the skin’s surface. This is what SPF protects us against. UVA rays penetrate the skin at a far deeper level, causing long-term, permanent damage. It’s these dangerous UVA rays that Soltan offers the highest level of protection against.
All our products have the 5 star UVA rating, giving you the maximum protection.
To be safe in the sun, you should use a sun cream that has both a high SPF and the maximum 5 star UVA protection.*
HOW TO APPLY SUN CREAM
We all know that it’s essential to wear sunscreen in order to protect our skin from the sun, but we’re often not applying it in the right way to provide us with adequate protection. One of the biggest mistakes many people make is not applying enough sun cream. You should use about two tablespoons of sun cream to cover your body (while wearing a swimsuit) and rub it in evenly. You should always apply sun cream immediately after swimming, towelling off or if you’ve been sweating a lot.
Top tip: Make sure your sun cream is not out of date. Most creams have a shelf life of two to three years, if kept out of sunlight or high temperatures.
HOW TO APPLY SUN CREAM TO YOUR LITTLE ONES
We know that getting kids to apply sun cream is no mean feat! They often need some persuasion and plenty of reminders, but it’s essential that their skin is protected.
The most important thing is to make sure you apply plenty of sun cream. The amount you use depends on the height and weight of your child, but if you’re unsure, just use the same amount you would for an adult – after all, it’s far better to apply too much rather than too little. Make sure you cover their whole body, not just the arms and legs but in-between fingers and toes, the backs of their knees, behind the ears – everywhere! Be extra careful to apply plenty to their neck and shoulders, as these are common sunburn areas.
Top tip: Got a little wriggler? Make your life easier by buying Soltan Once Advanced Kids Protect and Swim SPF50+. Our splash-proof formula protects your kids for up to 8 hours on the sand and up to 3 hours in the water, meaning you can sit back and relax knowing your little one is sun-safe; perfect for a beach break.
TOP TIPS FOR SUN SAFETY:
Follow the below five steps to get sun ready.
1) Use 5 star UVA rated sun cream
2) Drink plenty of water
3) Cover up with a hat and long sleeves
4) Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes
5) Stay in the shade between 11am and 3pm
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
• For the best protection, look for the 5 star UVA rating*, and always aim to use SPF30 or more. Check out our full Baby and Kids suncream range here.
• Vitamin D is very important, so you and your family should try to spend plenty of time outside! Just make sure that you always use sun cream. Vitamin D can still be synthesised through sun cream, but sun exposure without protection can cause deeper skin damage. If you’re worried, why not consider taking a Boots Vitamin D supplement? We have a range suitable for both adults and children.
• Did you know? The Department of Health recommends the general population should consider taking a 10μg vitamin D supplement throughout the autumn and winter months, whilst some more vulnerable groups (including children under 4 years old) should take a supplement all year round.
• It is possible, although not very likely. The most powerful burning rays are filtered out through windows. However, UVA rays do get through and these penetrate deeper into the skin. So, even if you wouldn’t get sunburnt easily, you could still get long-term damage from UVA rays through a window.
• Make sure your kids are completely covered. Face, arms, legs and back – any exposed skin needs a good slather of sun cream. And don’t forget those easy to miss places like ears, feet and the back of your neck. Why not try our Soltan Clear & Cool Protect Head and Scalp Spray SPF30 75ml to protect your scalp and parting too?
• UVA rays are the most common type of rays. They penetrate very deeply into the skin, and can cause long-term skin damage. The damage isn’t always visible, but it can be permanent. UVA rays can reach us even on overcast days.
• UVB rays don’t penetrate as deeply into the skin, but are very powerful. These are the rays responsible for causing sunburn and, in severe cases, blistering.
Make sure you apply sun cream about 20-30 minutes before you go out into the sun. Then, reapply every 2 hours, or more frequently if you’re sweating, swimming or towelling dry. Find applying suncream frustrating or struggling to tie down your little ones? Why not try our Soltan Once Advanced range – this is our most advanced formula and gives you up to 8 hours of protection from just 1 application. Giving you peace of mind before sending your kids off to school, too!
SHOP THE RANGE
The only leading sun care brand with full 5 star UVA protection*.
Soltan is a leading sun care range for adults, children and babies with full 5 star UVA protection and a range of SPF options available: SPF8, SPF15, SPF30 and SPF50+.
Our protection promise is to provide advanced protection, expertly formulated by Soltan’s suncare scientists with maximum 5 star UVA protection to help protect against short and long-term skin damage. In 1992, we invented the UVA rating system to ensure consistency across sun care ranges when showing the level of protection provided against harmful UVA rays that cause permanent skin damage. Today, millions of people in the UK with every skin type rely on Soltan to provide protection from the sun both at home and on holiday.
Soltan is designed with Mums in mind: all our children’s suncream and baby suncream contain 5 star UVA protection too, to ensure time spent outside is always fun and worry-free! We ensure all our products are dermatologically tested, provide a non-greasy formula so that they’re light and easily absorbed, as well as being water resistant.
We have created a range of products to suit every skin type and protection need. Soltan Once Advanced 8 Hour Protect comes in both sprays and lotions and is our most advanced formula yet, giving you up to 8 hours of protection from just one application (https://www.boots.com/soltan/soltanonce- protection). Our Soltan Once Kids Advanced 8 Hour Protect and Swim gives your little ones up to 3 hours to swim safely too!
Our innovative Protect and Repel range (https://www.boots.com/soltan/soltan-protection-with-insect-repellent) is the only sun care and after-sun range on the UK market with insect repellent included to provide effective protection from sun and insects alike, without the insect repellent odour.
Simply add your chosen product to your basket and get it delivered to home or a store of your choice – whichever is more convenient for you.
A Mole Scanning Service is offered at selected Boots stores in the UK to help identify any suspicious moles or pigmented lesions you may be concerned about. This service is run by ScreenCancer with assistance from a Boots healthcare team member.
*The star rating is a measure of the absorbance of UVA relative to UVB. Other brands not displaying a star rating symbol may still offer high levels of
UVA protection. Data to support can be found at www.boots.com/soltan-uva-protection