Hassle free healthcare with instant advice & prescription medicine with our virtual GP*
Help for common illnesses
If you want help dealing with a common illness such as a cold, cough or diarrhoea, you may be able to use the free NHS Minor Ailment Scheme at selected pharmacies, including some Boots pharmacies. Our pharmacist will be able to offer advice and may be able to offer you medicines for a minor illness without you having to book an appointment to see your GP.
Who is the service for?
Schemes vary between locations, but the NHS Minor Ailment Scheme is for adults and children who:
• Are registered with a GP surgery which is taking part in the scheme
• Want treatment for a minor illness included in your local scheme
Medicines can be supplied free of charge to the customer if they are exempt from NHS prescription charges.
The NHS Minor Ailment Scheme is available across Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland but only in selected pharmacies across England. Ask your local Boots pharmacy whether they offer the scheme and they'll check if you're eligible to receive it.
HOW IT WORKS
What minor illnesses are covered?
Illnesses supported within the scheme may differ between locations. Some illnesses covered include:
• Back-ache, sprains and strains
• Hay fever
• Head lice
• Headache and fever
• Heartburn and indigestion
• Insect bites and stings
• Mild eczema and dermatitis
• Minor fungal skin infections
• Mouth ulcers
• Nappy rash
• Sore throat
• Convenient: No need to make an appointment
• Advice: Pharmacist can refer you to a GP if necessary
• Flexible: Many pharmacies are open at the weekend