How to clean your make-up brushes and sponges
Discover our top tips to help your make-up brushes & your face look & feel their finest
Make-up brushes and sponges are essential to achieving a flawless finish. To look our best, we wash our faces regularly and invest in make-up regularly, so we should also clean our beauty tools regularly.
Experts such as dermatologists and make-up artists recommend that we need to clean our brushes and sponges at least once a week, to avoid them from becoming a haven for bacteria. This will keep our faces free from any breakouts and can also improve the application of your make-up. Even better, a good spring clean means that your brushes and sponges will last longer, too.
Turn bathroom basics into make-up brush saviours
If you’re after a super-savvy solution for cleaning up your brushes, then this is the tip for you. It’s also a good way to use up any bars of soap that you’ve bought on a shopping spree and simply forgotten about.
• Place the brush under warm running water, spreading the bristles with your fingertips. Be careful not to get water into the ferrule (where the bristles are glued onto the brush) as this can lead to the bristles becoming loose
• Once the bristles are wet enough, pop the brush to one side. Rub the bar of soap into your hands to create a lather and then gently massage this into the bristles of the brush
• Place the brush under a running tap to rinse out the residue. Gently squeeze out any excess water or make-up by running the brush against a clean towel
• To reshape the brush, press the bristles against your fingers or sweep against your palm. Doing this will help it bounce back to its natural shape
• Last but not least, place your brushes on a clean counter or on your dressing table, making sure that the brush-head is hanging off the edge. By doing this, it means that the bristles will dry evenly all over. Leave the brushes to dry overnight and they’ll be ready for you in the morning
Top tip: Baby shampoo is a great alternative to soap because if it’s gentle enough for babies, then it’s definitely gentle enough for your brushes. Using your super soft and squeaky clean brushes will feel like a treat every morning.
Spritz away the germs with brush cleansing sprays
If you’d like something that’s ready to use and perfect for on-the-go, then make-up brush cleansing sprays are the ideal item for you. The No7 Make Up Brush Cleanser is a particularly great buy as not only will it gently remove dirt and build-up from bristles, but it will also protect and condition them.
• Firstly, generously spray a paper towel or tissue with the cleanser. If any brushes are particular dirty, spray directly onto the brush
• Then sweep the bristles of the brushes across the damp area. Repeat this step for brushes that have more of a build-up of make-up
• Once cleaned, leave the brushes to dry on a clean flat surface. Remember to keep the bristles hanging off the edge of the surface so they air-dry thoroughly
Clean your brushes in style
If you’re a busy bee who hasn’t got a minute to spare, then we have the perfect solution for you. The StylPro Makeup Brush Cleaner and Dryer leaves make-up brushes clean, dry and ready to reuse in seconds.
The latest invention from the winner of the Apprentice, Tom Pellereau, uses innovative spin technology to clean and dry your brushes. Follow our top tips for tip-top brushes.
• Fill a third of the plastic cleaning bowl with a mixture of soap and water. For brushes that have been used to apply oil-based make-up, use the StylPro Makeup Brush Cleanser, as this will remove the oil effectively
• Slide the handle of your brush into the silicone cover and attach it to the StylPro spindle device. The set comes with eight flexible silicone covers specifically designed to fit different types of brushes, such as kabuki, blusher, eye liner, foundation, and lip liner
• Place the bowl onto a flat surface and gently dip the brush-head into the bowl and press onto the bowl to help separate the bristles. Then switch on the StylPro spindle attachment, keeping hold of it in your hand
• Slowly move the brush up and down in the water for 10 seconds making sure that it remains under the liquid level
• Once the 10 seconds are over, lift the brush above the liquid, leaving it to spin. While the brush is spinning, the dirt and water will flicker out of the brush. Keep the brush spinning for 10 seconds and then switch off the StylPro. Your brush is now clean, dry and ready to use
The best ways to keep your sponge spotless
Staying on top of your make-up sponge cleaning is important. With all the make-up, facial oils and powders, sponges can very quickly become a breeding ground for all sorts of nasty bacteria and cause you unwanted breakouts. Luckily, there are a few methods which make cleaning your make-up sponge quick and easy.
• Just like your brushes, a bar of soap can do the trick. Simply rub the sponge back and forth against the bar until the soap creates a lather. Give it a squeeze before rinsing under running water until it runs clear.
• If you don’t have soap to hand, a mixture of olive oil and dish soap is a good alternative. Let your sponge soak up the mixture, then squeeze and rinse.
• For a deeper clean, try a soak bath. Fill a bowl with warm water and soap or baby shampoo and lay your sponge to rest for up to 30 minutes so the detergent has the chance to reach the middle. When you’re happy, remove it from the bowl and rinse under running water.
• It’s important to let your make-up sponge dry completely before storing it back in your make-up bag, draw or any enclosed space as this will stop it from going mouldy. Air drying is the best method, ideally in sunlight, as the UV rays also help to kill germs.
So there you have it, super simple solutions for cleaning your make-up brushes and sponges to help keep your face spot-free and looking like a masterpiece each and every day.