How to get more energy
Feeling tired? Learn how to increase your energy levels
Many of you may have pressing lifestyles that require balancing a career, looking after children, and trying to eat clean, all whilst keeping as active as possible. Due to these busy lifestyles, this may have led to many of you feeling tired most of the time. So what can you do to help reduce your tiredness?
Why do I lack energy?
One of the reasons for a lack of energy throughout the day could be that you need more sleep. Adults should aim to get roughly eight hours of sleep a night to help feel refreshed and ready for the day ahead.
Another reason for a lack of energy could be because you aren’t getting enough nutrients from your diet. It’s important to eat a healthy balanced diet that’s full of fruit and veg to ensure you get the nutrients you need to help keep your energy levels up.
Tips to help with fatigue
Your diet can help to improve your energy levels. Below are some useful hints and tips to help you along the way:
• Always eat breakfast
• Aim for your five a day. This is the easiest way to ensure you’re getting a good variety of nutrients from your diet – the more colour on your plate, the better
• Include slow releasing starches in your diet. Potatoes, wholegrain pasta and rice are nothing to be feared, they all release energy slowly to keep you going throughout the day
• Cut down on sugar. Many people reach for sugar when they’re feeling tired, but this is a short-term energy fill that can actually leave you feeling lower than before
• Give your body the right amount of calories for your daily activities, as this will help keep your energy levels up
• Include foods rich in vitamin B in your diet, as they support healthy energy levels. B vitamins are nutrients that convert your food into energy, and include B1, B2 and B3
• Make sure your food is rich in iron, this is essential for your red blood cells which carry oxygen around your body*
• Include magnesium rich foods in your diet. Magnesium supports energy and muscle functions,* so it’s important to ensure you're getting the right levels
Vitamins for energy
If you feel you aren’t getting enough energy from your diet or lifestyle, then you may need extra support. There are a few different supplements that can contribute to reducing your tiredness and fatigue, including vitamin B1, B2 and B3, iron and magnesium.*
How will B vitamins help my energy levels?
B vitamins play an important role in maintaining energy levels and turning food into energy.
So which B vitamin do you need?
There are many types of B vitamin, all of which, except for folic acid, help breakdown food and turn it into energy. There are also extra benefits to B vitamins, as the table details below.