COVID-19 PCR Testing Service
*Availability in selected stores, charges apply. Subject to specially-trained colleague and stock availability. You must register and order your test on the ReCoVa-19 portal before booking your appointment (by clicking Order Now). Appointments can be booked up to 28 days in advance.
Please note our private testing services are not suitable for anyone with COVID-19 symptoms, or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19.
It is a legal requirement that Boots, as a provider of the service, share all COVID-19 test results (positive, negative, inconclusive and failed) to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA).
Please note General Use Lateral Flow Tests are no longer provided free of charge by the NHS as of 1st April 2022.
For in-store tests, please don't book an appointment or come into store if you have symptoms of COVID-19. Instead, stay at home and follow the latest government guidance.
We’re doing all we can in store to help keep our customers and colleagues safe. Find out more about safer appointments at Boots.
It’s very important that you arrive in store at the correct time for your appointment. If you’re late, we can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to re-schedule your appointment. You should not eat, drink, smoke or vape at least 30 minutes before having a test, to reduce the risk of spoiling the test.
How it works
Order your test online through the ReCoVa-19 portal and book your appointment on boots.com
Register your details and upload your ID on the ReCoVa-19 portal. You will then be provided with a link which will allow you to book your appointment on boots.com.
Visit your chosen Boots store for your swab test**
A specially-trained member of our team will swab the back of your throat and your nose. Your swab will then be sent to the laboratory to be tested.
Get your result typically within 48 hours
Once your result is available, you'll get an email to let you know it's ready. You can then view your result by logging into the ReCoVa-19 portal.
What is the In-Store COVID-19 PCR Testing Service?
Our In-Store COVID-19 PCR Testing Service is a convenient way to get a throat and nose swab PCR test to check for a current COVID-19 infection.
Features of the service:
- Suitable for testing for work, attending a social event and before international travel.***
- Certification for negative results.
- The appointment including the swab test will take about 10 minutes. Results typically available by midnight the day after your test has been performed.
- Suitable for adults and children 5 years of age and over.
- Not suitable for those with COVID-19 symptoms, or who think they may have COVID-19. Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms can get a free NHS COVID-19 test.
Can I book for multiple people?
Where there are two or more people accessing the service, you are able to order tests using the group booking facility on ReCoVa-19. Please note, consent for booking and viewing results must be given to the lead booker prior to using this facility.
- Group bookings can have up to 6 people
- The lead booker must book the appointments for everyone in the group
- The lead booker must be the first person in store to have the test in store for the group payment to be taken
- The entire group do not need to attend the same appointment or even attend the same store for the service
- The lead booker must obtain consent to book and view results for everyone in the group
- Results will be notified to the lead booker who must inform all group members of the order number and appointment times for other members to access the service
- The availability of results may be communicated to the lead booker at different times within the 48 hour time frame following each individual's swab test appointment
Click here for the full list of stores which currently offer this service
You must register your details and order your test on the ReCoVa-19 portal. You will then receive a link to book your appointment by clicking 'Order Now'. Please do not attend store without having completed both steps.
Click 'order now' to register and purchase your COVID-19 PCR test via the ReCoVa-19 portal.
Simply fill in a registration form, upload your ID and enter your payment details on the ReCoVa-19 portal. You will need to upload a form of photo ID onto the ReCoVa-19 potral to verify your identity. If travelling abroad, this MUST be a passport, but for any other reasons, any form of photo ID is accepted.
It is important to ensure your full name, date of birth and, if travelling abroad, your passport number, are entered correctly on the ReCoVa-19 portal, as this is what will appear on your COVID-19 test certificate.
You will then need to follow the link on your confirmation email to book an appointment in a Boots store for a swab test.
Having clicked the link, your appointment is booked using your boots.com account, NOT the ReCoVa-19 account you have created to make payment and order test(s).
When you visit the Boots store for your swab test
Remember to bring your ReCoVa-19 order number and ID document that you uploaded onto the portal to the appointment. Full payment will only be taken once you arrive in store for your appointment. You'll be able to leave the store as soon as you've had your swab taken.
After your appointment, your swab will be sent to a laboratory for PCR testing. Typically, results are available by midnight the day after your test has been performed. You'll get an email to let you know that the results are ready to view via the ReCoVa-19 portal. If negative, you'll be able to download the result certificate.
Due to the sensitivity of these tests, there is a very small chance that the test result could be returned as inconclusive or failed. If a test result is inconclusive or failed, it is not possible to say if the person being tested had the virus when the test was done and a retest must be carried out. Boots will provide a voucher on the ReCoVa-19 portal to cover the cost of the retest.