Boots Health Hub - Online access to health & wellness services. From Flu Jabs to COVID Tests, Opticians or Physiotherapy appointments. We've got you covered.
How to put in & take out your contact lenses
Follow our step-by-step guide. Spoiler alert – it’s easier than you think
Thinking of making the switch from glasses to contact lenses, but worried about how to put them in and take them out? Or are you new to contacts and still trying to get the hang of it? Fear not – we’re here to help.
How to put your contact lenses in
Putting in contact lenses for the first time may make you gulp, but with a little practice and our top tips, you’ll soon be a pro.
• First things first, wash your hands with plain soap then rinse and dry well
• Open the foil (if you have daily disposables) or lid (if you have reusable lenses) and place the lens on the tip of your index finger
• Remember to check the lens is the right way around (it should look like a bowl with straight edges)
• With the lens placed on the tip of your index finger, use your free hand to pull the top eyelid up – this will help to stop you blinking
• Now pull your bottom eyelid down and gently place the lens on the centre of your eye
• Slowly move your index finger away and blink. Now look around to remove any air bubbles and make sure the lens is in the right position
• Repeat on the other eye et voilà! You’re good to go
How to take your contact lenses out
You’ve put them in, now you need to take them out. Follow our top hints and taking out contact lenses will soon become the norm.
• As always, make sure you’ve washed your hands with plain soap and dried them properly
• Once you’re ready, lower your chin a bit and look up into a mirror
• Using your index finger, gently slide your lens downwards onto the white part of your eye
• Now gently pinch the contact lens between your thumb and index finger to remove the lens from your eye
• Repeat the steps on the other eye. Easy peasy, right?
If you decide to give contact lenses a go, a member of our team will show you how to put them in and take them out to help you get the hang of it. They’ll also offer contact lens care advice before the new frameless you steps out of Boots Opticians.
What do I do once I've removed my lenses?
If you wear reusable contact lenses, you’ll need to clean and store your lenses in the contact lens case and solution that has been recommended by your optician. It’s important to never use tap water to clean your lenses or lens case as this could increase the risk of an eye infection... ouch!
If you wear daily disposable contact lenses, you can do your bit for the planet and discard of them using our contact lens recycling programme. Just ask in store about it.
Free contact lens trial
Tempted to give contact lenses a whirl? Why not try our free contact lens trial and discover the joys of frame-free life?*
If you have a prescription dated within the last 12 months, use our store locator to find your nearest Boots Opticians who can book you in for your free contact lens trial. You can also book one of these online.
If you haven’t had an eye test in the last year, we’ll need to check your eyes before your contact lens trial. Book your eye test and free contact lens trial today online or by calling 0345 125 3752.**
*A trial consists of up to five pairs of daily disposable lenses or a month's supply of selected daily reusable lenses. This trial excludes quarterly replacement, annual replacement, rigid gas permeable lenses and coloured contact lenses. Excludes current Boots Opticians Contact Lens Rewards Plan customers.
**Local rates apply from BT landlines in the UK and other providers' charges may vary. All calls will be recorded or monitored for quality and training purposes.