Accidental damage, no problem.
Your glasses are important to your everyday life, helping you drive, read and watch TV. And with the average cost of replacement or repair £150 or more*, it’s a good idea to get them protected, just in case. With prices starting from just £15 annually**, what are you waiting for?
Boots glasses cover gives you one year’s protection from accidental damage for only:
£15 - for glasses up to £200*
£25 - for glasses up to £300*
£35 - for glasses over £300*
Benefits of glasses cover
Think glasses cover is just another cost? There are a number of benefits to bring you peace of mind and save you money in the long-run if you accidentally damage your pair.
Accidental damage, no problem
Make one easy payment
If you damage or break your glasses by accident, just return them to your local Boots Optician for a free repair or replacement.
There’s no excess to pay when you make a claim, unlike with many home insurance policies.
Get unlimited repairs or replacements
Go to any Boots Opticians
You’re covered for unlimited repairs and replacements for accidental damage for a year from the date you collect your glasses.
Any Boots Opticians in the UK can arrange repairs or replacements for you.
Your money-back guarantee
We’ll refund your premium if you’re not happy. Just go back to the Boots Opticians store that arranged your policy within 14 days, taking your till receipt, and we’ll refund your money.
Looking after your glasses
Even with glasses cover, it's still important to look after your glasses. Read our top tips for keeping them in pristine condition.
- Pop your glasses in a protective case when you’re not wearing them to prevent damage.
- Remove your glasses with your hands either side of the frame so they stay the right shape for your face.
- Always place your glasses face up when you remove them to keep your lenses scratch-free.
- Keep your glasses out of direct sunlight ie. on a car dashboard, as it can cause damage such as discolouration.
- Clean your glasses regularly with an approved cloth or recommended Boots cleaning materials to get the best possible vision (household detergents and washing up liquid could damage your lenses and remove reflection-free coatings).
- Always remove your glasses when spraying hairspray, perfume or other aerosols to prevent marks on your lenses.
Demands and needs statement
Do you require insurance against accidental damage to your new Boots glasses?
This policy meets the demands and needs of a customer who is a resident of the United Kingdom or Channel Islands and requires insurance cover against accidental damage to their glasses that they purchased from Boots Opticians Professional Services Limited. Your glasses may be covered under another policy you have, for example under your home insurance. Please ensure that you do not have equivalent cover elsewhere prior to purchasing this policy.
Meaning of words
Wherever the following words or phrases appear in these terms and conditions, they will always have the meaning listed below. All other words and phrases will take on the usual meaning they have in the English language.
Accidental damage – Damage to your glasses caused by normal wear and tear or damage caused by an accident or an accidental event.
Glasses – Any single pair of dispensed glasses, or two pairs where purchased together at the same time and for the same customer, supplied by Boots Opticians or their agents.
Period of cover – The insurance commences from the date you collect your glasses from Boots Opticians and lasts for a period of 12 months from that date. This only includes the pair/pairs cover had been purchased for. If an additional pair are purchased after this point, a new policy must be purchased and this runs from the point the second pair are collected from store.
We, Us, Our – American International Group UK Limited (AIG UK).
You, Your – The person who purchases the glasses and the Policy and, if different, the person who wears the glasses for which the Policy has been purchased. The Policy may only be purchased by a person who is at least 16 years of age.
Your Policy/This Policy
These are your terms and conditions for your glasses cover policy. In return for the premium you pay, we will provide cover for your glasses during the period of cover subject to the terms and conditions and the exclusions set out below.
We will pay for:
- Repair or replacement of your glasses on a like for like basis if they are damaged as a result of accidental damage which is not covered by the manufacturer's guarantee
We will not pay for (exclusions):
- Repair or replacement of your glasses due to deliberate damage by you or where you have not taken reasonable care of them
- Glasses repair or replacement to a new optical prescription
- Glasses repair or replacement if not authorised and carried out by Boots Opticians
- Any costs due to an inherent design fault, a manufacturer’s defect or recall of your glasses
- Any cost of repair where no parts of the glasses are returned
- Any losses that do not flow naturally from the event giving rise to the claim or any loss over and above the cost of your glasses
- Loss or theft of your glasses
How to make a claim
Within 30 days of the Accidental Damage occurring, visit any Boots Opticians store in the UK and take along your glasses, including all damaged or separated parts and these terms and conditions, together with your proof of purchase. Boots Opticians will only then arrange for your glasses to be repaired or replaced, subject to the terms and conditions of this policy.
Are there any other conditions or limitations?
- This policy shall be governed by English law and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts
- Your till receipt together with these terms and conditions act as proof of purchase for both your glasses and this cover
- We have the right to cancel this policy by giving at least 30 days' notice in writing to you at your last known address where we have serious grounds for doing so, including any failure by you to comply with the terms and conditions of this policy, which is incapable of remedy, or which you fail to remedy within 14 days of receiving notice from us requiring you to remedy the failure. A proportionate refund of the premium paid will be made to you from the date we cancel this policy
- This policy is automatically cancelled if you submit a claim knowing it to be false, fraudulent or misrepresentative
- This policy cannot be transferred to another person or persons. It may be transferred to another pair of glasses that you own, only with our prior written consent
- If you receive a replacement pair of glasses because repairing the glasses is considered to be uneconomical or not possible, we may, at our sole discretion, take possession of the damaged glasses and dispose of them accordingly
- This policy excludes costs or payments recoverable from any party, under the terms of any other guarantee, warranty or insurance
What if I change my mind?
You are entitled to a full refund if, within 14 days from purchase, you cancel the policy, providing there have been no claims made under the policy during the period of cover. Simply return these terms and conditions together with your original till receipt, to the Boots Opticians store that you purchased the policy from, within 14 days of purchase and a full refund will be given.
Caring for our customers
Complaints – If there is any occasion when our service does not meet your expectations please contact the American International Group UK Limited Customer Relations Team;
In writing: American International Group UK Limited, The AIG Building, 2-8 Altyre Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR9 2LG.
Telephone: 0800 012 1301 or +44 (0)20 8649 6666 (if calling from overseas).
If we are unable to resolve your complaint you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service whom can be contacted at:
In Writing: The Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR.
Telephone: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9123
How we use Personal Information
American International Group UK Limited is committed to protecting the privacy of customers, claimants and other business contacts.
The types of Personal Information we may collect and why – Depending on our relationship with you, Personal Information collected may include: contact information, financial information and account details, credit reference and scoring information, sensitive information about health or medical conditions (collected with your consent where required by applicable law) as well as other Personal Information provided by you or that we obtain in connection with our relationship with you.
Personal Information may be used for the following purposes:
- Insurance administration, e.g. communications, claims processing and payment
- Make assessments and decisions about the provision and terms of insurance and settlement of claims
- Assistance and advice on medical and travel matters
- Management of our business operations and IT infrastructure
- Prevention, detection and investigation of crime, e.g. fraud and money laundering
- Establishment and defence of legal rights
- Legal and regulatory compliance (including compliance with laws and regulations outside your country of residence)
- Monitoring and recording of telephone calls for quality, training and security purposes
- Marketing, market research and analysis
Sharing of Personal Information – For the above purposes Personal Information may be shared with our group companies and third parties (such as brokers and other insurance distribution parties, insurers and reinsurers, credit reference agencies, healthcare professionals and other service providers). Personal Information will be shared with other third parties (including government authorities) if required by laws or regulations. Personal Information (including details of injuries) may be recorded on claims registers shared with other insurers. We are required to register all third party claims for compensation relating to bodily injury to workers’ compensation boards. We may search these registers to prevent, detect and investigate fraud or to validate your claims history or that of any other person or property likely to be involved in the policy or claim. Personal Information may be shared with prospective purchasers and purchasers, and transferred upon a sale of our company or transfer of business assets.
Security of Personal Information – Appropriate technical and physical security measures are used to keep your Personal Information safe and secure. When we provide Personal Information to a third party (including our service providers) or engage a third party to collect Personal Information on our behalf, the third party will be selected carefully and required to use appropriate security measures.
This insurance is sold by Boots and underwritten by American International Group UK Limited. American International Group UK Limited is registered in England under number 10737370. Registered office: The AIG Building, 58 Fenchurch Street, London EC3M 4AB, United Kingdom. American International Group UK Limited is a member of the Association of British Insurers. American International Group UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (FRN 781109). This can be checked by visiting the FS Register https://register.fca.org.uk. We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). If we are unable to meet our financial obligations you may be entitled to compensation from the scheme, depending on whether you are an eligible complainant, the type of insurance and the circumstances of the claim. Further information on the scheme is available from the FSCS at https://www.fscs.org.uk or by calling +44 (0)20 7741 4100, or +44 (0)80 0678 1100
If you require these terms and conditions in larger print, please ask in store.
*We regularly track the average order value of our customer’s glasses so this figure can be substantiated.
**Price of policy is determined by the value of a single pair of glasses (frames and lenses) or the value of two pairs of glasses purchased at the same time. Each policy is limited to two pairs of glasses.