When you are ready to take the test, visit the ReCoVa-19 portal and activate your kit. Failure to do so may stop you receiving your results
Day 2 (Green List) and Day 2 & 8 (Amber List) COVID-19 Post Travel Testing Service
Day 2 & 8 COVID-19 Post Travel Testing ServiceWhat is the Day 2 & 8 COVID-19 Post-Travel Testing Service?
All people arriving into England following international travel* are required by law to undertake post-travel COVID-19 testing. We offer an at-home self-swab day 2 & 8 COVID-19 Post-Travel Testing Service which includes free delivery**.
*You do not need to take a COVID-19 test or quarantine on arrival in England if you are travelling within the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, (the Common Travel Area), and you have not been outside of the Common Travel Area in the previous 10 days.
** exclusions apply – see terms and conditions below
What you must do when you arrive in England from abroad depends on where you have been in the 10 days before you arrive in England and whether the countries you have transited through are on the red, amber or green list. The day you arrive in England is classed as day zero. The rules for the countries on red, amber and green list can be found below. Check the government website to see which applies to your country of travel.
If conditions change in a country or territory, it can be moved to a different colour category. If this is likely to happen, this will normally be flagged in the tables on the Government website. It is important that you refer to the latest information when determining whether you need to follow the red, amber or green rules, as a country or territory may be moved between lists without warning.
This service is suitable for adults and children five years of age and over and who will be arriving in England following international travel.
A Day 2 test costs £99. A Day 2 & 8 test costs £160. Both tests include free delivery of the test kits to your chosen address and pre-paid postage for sending each kit to the laboratory for testing is also included. Please note those travelling to England from a green country will receive 2 tests but legally only need to complete the day 2 COVID-19 test.
Find out more informationGreen List
Before you travel to England you must:
On arrival in England
You must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 after you arrive.
You do not need to self-isolate or quarantine when you return from a country on the green list. If the COVID-19 test result is positive, you must self-isolate.
You must self-isolate if NHS Test & Trace informs you that you travelled to England with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
If you have been in a country or territory on the red or amber list
If you have also been in or through a country or territory on the amber list in the 10 days before you arrive in England, and have not visited a country on the red list, you must follow the amber list rules, see the amber list section below.
If you have also been in or through a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England, you must follow the red list rules, see the red list section below.
The Day 2 COVID-19 test is designed to help identify any potentially harmful variants of COVID-19 at the earliest opportunity. If you get a positive result from your day 2 test, you must self-isolate for 10 days starting from the day that the test was conducted. People you live with or have travelled with should also self-isolate for 10 days from the day after your positive COVID-19 test.
Before you travel to England you must:
On arrival in England you must:·
- Quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
- Take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8
Further information about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests is available on the Government website.
If you have been in a country or territory on the red list
If you have also been in or through a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England, you must follow the red list rules, see the red List section below.
Further information about making a transit stop in a red country is available on the Government website.
The Day 2 COVID-19 test is designed to help identify any potentially harmful variants of COVID-19 at the earliest opportunity. Tests will be done where you are staying for your quarantine period. If you get a positive result from your day 2 test, you must self-isolate for 10 days starting from the day that the test was conducted. People you live with or have travelled with should also self-isolate for 10 days from the day after your positive COVID-19 test.
If your day 2 test is negative, you need to continue to quarantine and take your day 8 test.
If you get a positive test result from your day 8 test, you must self-isolate for 10 days from the day after your test date. People you live with or have travelled with should also self-isolate for 10 days from the day after your positive test.
If you’ve quarantined for 10 days and had a negative result from both your day 2 and day 8 tests, you may end your period of quarantining.
You may be able to end your quarantine before 10 days if you have a negative Test to Release COVID-19 test. Please see the Boots Test to Release Service for further information.
Before you travel to England you must:
- complete a passenger locator form
- take a COVID-19 test
- book a quarantine hotel package, including 2 COVID-19 tests
We are unable to provide test kits for people who are returning to England from a Red list country or territory. You will need to book a quarantine hotel package which will include day 2 & 8 COVID-19 tests.
On arrival in England you must:
How it works
Purchase your test(s) online through the ReCoVa-19 portal*. You will then receive your booking reference number & you will receive your test kit(s) within 48 hours of dispatch
*Register your details, and purchase your test(s).
Once you receive your test kits, on the appropriate day(s) follow the instructions within your test kit (including activation of the test kit on the ReCoVa-19 portal) before posting your completed test kit
Post using a Royal Mail priority postbox.
Get your results
For each test, typically within 24 to 48 hours of the laboratory receiving your sample. Results are provided via the ReCoVa-19 portal.
COVID-19: WHAT DO I NEED TO
DO BEFORE & AFTER I TRAVEL?*
|Pre-departure COVID-19 test before travel to destination and/or full COVID-19 vaccination course**|
|Passenger locator form required|
|COVID-19 test taken before returning to the UK|
|Hotel quarantine upon return to the UK||10 days|
|Quarantine in chosen location e.g. at home||10 days||Hotel quarantine required|
|Day 2 COVID-19 PCR test (mandatory)||On or before day 2 after return to UK||On or before day 2 after return to UK||On or before day 2 after return to UK|
|Day 8 COVID-19 PCR test (mandatory if required)||On or after day 8 after return to UK||On or after day 8 after return to UK|
|Optional Test to Release||N/A||On or after day 5 after return to UK|
*Please be aware, travel under these guidelines became requirements of the law on 17th May 2021. Please see the government website for more information https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
**Please check guidance on your country of travel for which test needs to be taken pre-departure and if COVID-19 vaccination is required
FAQsDo you offer a single test if I’m travelling to a green list country?
Yes, if you are traveling to a green country you are able to purchase a singular day 2 test.
When you are ready to do the test, go to the ReCoVa-19 portal and activate your test kit. Then continue following the instructions on the leaflet in the test kit box. Each test kit needs to be activated separately before the sample is taken.
You will receive test kits from a Day 2 & 8 Travel Test kit provider. You will either receive a nasal swab only test kit(s) or a throat & nasal swab test kit(s), which will be allocated at random and the type of kits cannot be selected. If you have placed an order for Day 2 and Day 8 test kits, both test kits will be the same. Please note that if you receive the throat and nasal kits and you are unable to undertake a throat swab, you can do a nasal-only swab, but both nostrils must be swabbed.
The type of test is a COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. A PCR test checks to see if the COVID-19 virus is currently in your body. It works by detecting the genetic material in the virus called RNA. When your swab sample reaches the lab, a solution known as a ‘reagent’ is added to it. If the virus is in the sample, the reagent starts a ‘chain reaction’. This reaction creates billions of copies of the viral genetic material, so there’s enough for it to be detected and analysed by scientists.
No, if you are traveling from a red list country / territory your quarantine hotel package will include testing.
Your test kit(s) will arrive at your chosen delivery address within 48 hours of dispatch. Dispatch is typically the next working day after your order. When your order is dispatched you will receive tracking information. If you have not received your test kit(s) please call Boots Customer Care on 0345 121 2837. To view customer care opening hours please visit www.boots.com/contact-us.
If your test kit(s) has arrived broken, damaged or is missing kit parts you will need to contact our customer care team.
Boots are not able to issue refunds for the Day 2 & Day 8 test kits, please refer to the terms and conditions below for more details.
ReCoVa-19 are a company that provides a digital platform to manage the operation of COVID-19 testing services.
You will receive an email to tell you that your result is ready. Results can be viewed by logging into the ReCoVa-19 portal.
The test result will show whether you are positive or negative for COVID-19 or in a very small amount of cases you may get an unclear test (please see below for more details). Results are typically available to view via the ReCoVa portal within 24 to 48 hours after the laboratory has received the sample. The portal will give you your results and give you further information on what you need to do next.
Unclear test result
Due to the sensitivity of these tests, there is a very small chance the test result could be inconclusive/unclear. If your test result is inconclusive/unclear it is not possible to say if you had the virus when the test was done. You must take another test (at your own cost) or self-isolate for 10 days from the day after your test date.You may be contacted by NHS Test & Trace to check that you are self-isolating.
You should log into the ReCoVa-19 portal to check if your result is available. Results are typically available 24 to 48 hours after the lab has received the sample. If it’s been over 48 hours since your at-home self-swab test and your results are not available on the portal, please call Boots Customer Care on 0345 121 2837. To view customer care opening hours please visit www.boots.com/contact-us.
Yes, the service uses UKAS accredited laboratories. The United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) is the sole national accreditation body for the United Kingdom. UKAS is recognised by government, to assess against internationally agreed standards, organisations that provide certification, testing, inspection and calibration services.
No this will not release you from post-travel quarantine. If you are required to quarantine you will need to do so for 10 days. If you test positive on either test you will need to continue to self-isolate 10 days from the day of your positive test. Following travel from an amber country you may be able to end your quarantine before 10 days if you have a negative Test to Release COVID-19 test. Please see the Boots Test to Release Service for further information.
The certificate for a negative test will include your full name, Date of Birth, passport number, test date, laboratory details and the signature of the report approver at the laboratory.
If you have any further queries that have not been answered on this page or by the instructions in your test kits please get in touch with our Boots customer care team.
• Customers using the service must be five years of age and over. Each person will need their own account setting up on the ReCoVa-19 portal.
• Customers will be required to provide the following information when ordering the Day 2 test kit, or Day 2 & Day 8 test kits:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- NHS Number (if known)
- Passport number*
- Email address
- Telephone number
- COVID-19 Vaccination Status
- Current address and address where the customer will be quarantining (if different)
- Date of arrival into England, the country or territory the customer was travelling from when they arrived in England
- The coach/flight/vessel number – mode of arrival
- Email address and telephone number
- The date on which the customer last departed from or transited through a country or territory, outside the Common Travel Area.
- The country or territory the customer was travelling from when they arrived in the UK and any country or territory the customer transited through as part of that journey. It is the responsibility of the customer to check the red, amber, or green status of the countries and/or territories they are transiting through on the Government website and ensure they are following the relevant rules.
• It is a legal requirement that correct and accurate passenger details are provided whilst ordering a Day 2 test, or Day 2 & Day 8 tests. It is the responsibility of the customer to ensure they take the required test(s) on the correct day(s) as per the Government guidance.
• Tests taken as part of the Day 2 & Day 8 COVID-19 Post-Travel Testing Service will typically be processed within 48 hours from receipt of the sample at the laboratory
• The customer agrees and accepts that the Day 2 and 8 COVID-19 Post-Travel Testing Service is non-refundable and that the service is deemed to have been provided in full by Boots and ReCoVa-19 by providing the customer with their Booking Reference Number. If any part of the test kit is missing or faulty, the kit will be replaced under this agreement.
• Due to the sensitivity of these tests, there is a very small chance the test result could be inconclusive/unclear. If your test result is inconclusive/unclear it is not possible to say if the person being tested had the virus when the test was done. The customer must take another test (at their own cost) or self-isolate for 10 days from the day after the test date.The customer may be contacted by NHS Test & Trace to check that they are self-isolating.
• Boots will not be held liable for losses, costs, damage that the customer suffers or incurs as a result of any delays in receiving test results or as a result of inconclusive test results.
• Boots will also not be liable to you for any losses, costs or damages that the customer suffers or incurs as a result of receiving a positive test result.
• Day 2 & 8 COVID-19 Post-Travel Testing Service is subject to lab capacity and stock availability.
• It is a legal requirement that Boots and ReCoVa-19 as providers of the service share all COVID-19 test results to the NHS Test and Trace programme.
•This service is only suitable for customers who are arriving in England following international travel.
• Please be aware ReCoVa-19 will share your name and delivery address with Boots mailing services in order to dispatch the test kits.
• Orders will not be dispatched on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
* Whilst passport number is not a Day 2 & 8 requirement, your passport number is a validation requirement for registering on the ReCoVa-19 portal. Your passport number will not be included in the day 2 and day 8 test data which we are required to share with Public Health England.
• Boots liability will not exceed the cost charged to the customer for the service, so far as is lawfully permitted.
*If you have COVID-19 Symptoms you must follow the Government guidance, stay at home and arrange a free COVID-19 test via www.gov.uk. T&C's apply.