Please note that this service is NOT suitable for Day 2 and Day 8 mandatory testing. To purchase kits for Day 2 & 8 please visit here.
After ordering your COVID-19 PCR Test via the ReCoVa-19 portal by clicking on the ‘order now’ button, please follow the link on your confirmation email to book an appointment via the boots appointment diary. The appointment diary is open for booking 28 days in advance.
In-store COVID-19 PCR Testing Service
Get a private COVID-19 swab test at Boots for £85*
*Availability in selected stores, charges apply. Subject to specially trained colleague and stock availability. You must register and order your test on the Recova-19 portal before booking your appointment (by clicking Order now) Appointments can be booked up to 28 days in advance.
What is the In-store COVID-19 PCR Testing Service?
There are many different reasons why you may want to have a COVID-19 swab test. Maybe you’re travelling abroad, you need a test for work or you’re attending a social event. Our In-store COVID-19 PCR Testing Service is a convenient way to get a nose and throat swab PCR test to check for a current COVID-19 infection.
This service is not suitable for anyone with symptoms of COVID-19, or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19. Please don’t book an appointment or come into store if you, anyone in your household or support bubble have symptoms of COVID-19 or you have been told to isolate after contact with a person that has tested positive for COVID-19. Instead stay at home and follow the latest government guidance.
Simply fill in a registration form, upload your ID and enter your payment details on the Recova-19 portal by clicking Order now. Where there are two or more people accessing the service, you are able order tests using the family booking facility on ReCoVa-19. Please note, the consent for booking and viewing results must be given to the lead booker prior to using this facility.
After this step, you’ll receive an email link to book your appointment online at your selected Boots store. Full payment will only be taken once you arrive in store for your appointment.
For family bookings up to 6 people, the lead booker must be the first person from the family group to have the test in store for the family payment to be taken. NB the entire family group do not need to attend the same appointment or even attend the same store for the service Please note, the lead booker must obtain consent to book and view results for the group prior to using this facility.
After your appointment, your swab will be sent to a laboratory for PCR testing. Typically, within 48 hours of the test, you’ll get an email to let you know the results are ready to view, and if negative you’ll be able to download or email the result certificate.
For family group bookings, results will be notified to the lead booker to the Lead booker must inform all group members of the order number and appointment times for other members to access the service. It is the responsibility of the lead booker to share the results and result’s guidance document to all family group members. Please not results may be communicated to the lead booker at different times within the 48 hour time frame
*Subject to specially trained colleague and stock availability. Available in selected stores
Which stores offer this service?
For the full list of stores which currently offer this service, please click here.
You must register your details and order your test on the ReCoVa-19 portal. You will then receive a link to book your appointment
Please do not attend store without having completed both steps
Who is this service suitable for?
The In-store COVID-19 PCR Testing Service is suitable for adults and children five years of age and over. It’s not suitable for anyone with symptoms of COVID-19, or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19. Anyone with coronavirus symptoms can get a free NHS COVID-19 test.
When should I book my appointment?
If you’re flying abroad, please check the COVID test requirements specified by your destination of travel and/or airline carrier before ordering a test. Results should be received typically within 48 hours.
How it works
Order your test online through the Recova-19 portal then book your appointment online
Register your details, and upload your ID.*
Visit your chosen Boots store for your swab test
A member of our team will swab your nose and the back of your throat. Your swab will then be sent to the laboratory to be tested.
Get your results
Typically, within 48 hours of your test, you will receive an email to let you know your results are ready.
*Subject to lab capacity, and specially trained colleague and stock availability. Available in selected stores, charges apply.
How long will my appointment take?
The appointment including the swab test will take about 10 minutes.
This service costs £85.
Important appointment information
Please read this information carefully before coming in for your appointment.
• You are required to upload a form of photo ID on to the ReCoVa-19 portal to verify your identity. If travelling, this MUST be a passport, for other reasons any form of Photo ID is accepted
• It is important to ensure your full name, date of birth and if travelling the passport number are entered correctly on the ReCoVa-19 portal, as this is what will appear on your COVID-19 test certificate.
• If you, anyone in your household or support bubble have any symptoms of COVID-19, or think they may have COVID-19, please don’t come into store for your appointment. Instead, please call the store to cancel your appointment, stay at home and follow the latest government guidance
• Remember to wear a face mask or covering and maintain social distancing whilst in store. We’re doing all we can in store to help keep our customers and colleagues safe. Find out more about safer appointments at Boots
• It’s very important that you arrive in store at the correct time for your appointment. If you’re late, we can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to re-schedule your appointment
· The store team will need to see the photo ID that was uploaded onto the portal. Please remember to bring this with you to your appointment as without this your test will not be able to go ahead.
· You’ll need to remove your face mask or covering for the swab test. As masks should only be touched with clean hands, we advise you bring hand sanitiser with you to your appointment
• A small number of swab tests are sometimes inconclusive, and you may therefore require a retest. You’ll be contacted if you need to have another swab test. We will not charge you for the inconclusive test and will refund you in full. We will then invite you to book a further test (as you are being refunded for the inconclusive test, you will be required to pay for the retest). We will do our best to accommodate re-tests within the required timeframe but this may not always be possible.**
** Boots will not be liable for any costs incurred as a result of a failed or inconclusive test.
A COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test checks to see if the COVID-19 virus is currently in your body. It works by detecting the genetic material in the virus called RNA. When your swab sample reaches the lab, a solution known as a ‘reagent’ is added to it. If the virus is in the sample, the reagent starts a ‘chain reaction’. This reaction creates billions of copies of the viral genetic material, so there’s enough for it to be detected and analysed by scientists.
ReCoVa-19 offer a digital platform to manage the operation of COVID-19 testing service.
If you have any questions about the service, please contact our customer care team on 0345 121 2837. To view customer care opening hours please visit, www.boots.com/contact-us
You will receive an email to tell you that your results are ready. Results can be viewed by logging into the Recova-19 portal.
You should log into the Recova-19 portal to check if your results are available as results typically take up to 48 hours before they become available. If it’s been over 48 hours since your swab appointment and your results are not available on the portal, please call Boots Customer Care on 0345 121 2837. To view customer care opening hours please visit, www.boots.com/contact-us .
Yes, the service uses UKAS accredited laboratories. The United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) is the sole national accreditation body for the United Kingdom. UKAS is recognised by government, to assess against internationally agreed standards, organisations that provide certification, testing, inspection and calibration services.
The certificate for a negative test will include your full name, Date of Birth, passport number, test date, laboratory details and the signature of the report approver at the laboratory.
It is possible that remnants of the virus causing COVID-19 infection can still be detected by PCR tests for up to 90 days after infection so you should consider that you may still get a positive result with a PCR test.
No, booking the In-store COVID-19 PCR Testing Service does not provide a booking reference number that is a requirement for Day 2 and Day 8 post-travel testing. Please see our Day 2 & Day 8 COVID-19 Post-Travel Testing Service if you need testing when you arrive in England after international travel.
Any family member (over 5 years) can be added to the group even if the addresses differ. Where the addresses may differ care should be taken to book the appropriate appointment in the correct location.
If one or more result comes back positive you must self-isolate and follow government guidance
• This service is not suitable for anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19 or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19. If you have any symptoms, please stay at home and follow UK government guidance
• Customers using the service must be five years of age and over
• Customers must bring their passport to the appointment to verify their identity, without this, the test will not be able to go ahead.
• If using this service to travel, the customer is responsible for checking the COVID-19 test requirements in accordance with the destination of travel.
• Whilst every effort will be made, we cannot guarantee results will be received within 48 hours
• Boots liability will not exceed the cost charged to the customer for the service, so far as is lawfully permitted
• Due to the sensitivity of these tests, there is a very small chance the test result could be inconclusive. If your test result is inconclusive a full refund will be provided, and you will be invited to book another test within the time frame to suit you but this cannot be guaranteed. As you will have been refunded for the first inconclusive test, you will be required to pay for the retest
• Boots will not be held liable for losses, costs, damage that you suffer or incur as a result of any delays in receiving test results or as a result of inconclusive test results
• Boots will also not be liable to you for any losses, costs or damages that you suffer or incur as a result of receiving a positive test result (including, if you are unable to travel as a result of testing positive)
• Service is subject to lab capacity, and specially trained colleague and stock availability
• We will not charge you if you cancel your order and appointment in advance due to showing symptoms of COVID-19 or a change in travel plans. If you have already paid for the test, a full refund will be provided
• It is a legal requirement that Boots as a provider of the service share all COVID-19 test results with Public Health England and the NHS Test and Trace Programme.
• For bookings made using the family group booking facility the order number from the lead booker must be provided to every group member. The order number will be required to investigate queries relating to any member of the group.Whilst every effort will be made, we cannot guarantee results will be received within 48 hours
*If you have COVID-19 Symptoms you must follow the Government guidance, stay at home and arrange a free COVID-19 test via www.gov.uk. T&C's apply.