Everything you need to know about waxing
We take you through the dos and the don’ts of waxing so you can get salon results in the comfort of your own home.
Why choose waxing?
If you want to remove any body hair, waxing’s fast, convenient and results can last up to a month (longer than other hair removal methods) – as it pulls the hair from the root. It also leaves the skin beautifully smooth with no stubble regrowth like shaving can. Tell me more, we hear you say…
The dos & don’ts
The downside to waxing is that it can be slightly painful, especially if it isn’t done properly. If you choose the right wax and prep your skin correctly, you can lead a life full of waxing success. Follow these rules to waxing at home to help avoid bumps, rashes or bruising. Whichever area you’re waxing – legs, underarms or the face, here’s what you need to know:
• Exfoliate 48 hours before you begin waxing with a gentle body scrub or loofah. This will help the wax stick to the skin and help avoid ingrown hairs
• Gather all your waxing kit in one place so you’re organised and not running around with wax on your legs trying to find your strips!
• Make sure your hair is no less than ¼ inch (which is about the length of a grain of rice)
• Before you begin, clean and dry the area you’re going to wax
• Try not to wax the same area more than once as this can cause a rash – use tweezers to get any rogue hairs
• Afterwards, soothe your skin with aloe vera or moisturiser
• Avoid scented products and give swimming and sunbathing a miss for 24 hours afterwards to avoid any irritation. It also helps to wear loose clothing so your skin can breathe
The different types of waxing products
Wax strips are ready-to-use strips that just need warming up in your hands to remove the hair instantly. They come in different sizes and are ideal for fast results with very little mess, and there’s also specific ones for sensitive skin types. The only disadvantage with wax strips is they aren’t as effective on short hair as warm wax – try not to reapply strips to any areas you’ve already done though, as it can cause irritation.
How to use wax strips
• Make sure your skin is dry
• Warm with hands
• Firmly press the strip down in the direction of hair growth
• Check the strip is slightly hard and pull off in one swift movement in the opposite direction of hair growth
• Repeat until you’ve removed all of the unwanted hair
• Clean off any excess wax with a wipe, or soapy water
How to wax your face
If you want to wax your face, choose a specific facial wax first – strips specially designed for the face are best as they’re much smaller than ordinary wax strips, making them quick and easy to use. For more precision areas such as the eyebrows, upper lip and chin, try Veet Face Precision Wax & Care. Simply follow the instructions, remember our top tips and you’ll be good to go.
Check your instructions before using any waxing products as you may need to do a patch test beforehand. Try and have a friend on hand if you’re waxing for the first time in case you need any help.