How to use wax at home
Everything you need to know about waxing
We take you through the dos and the don’ts of waxing so you can get salon results in the comfort of your own home.
Why choose waxing?
If you want to remove any body hair waxing’s fast, convenient and results can last up to a month (longer than other hair removal methods), as it pulls the hair from the root. It also leaves the skin beautifully smooth with no stubble re-growth like shaving can. Tell me more, we hear you say…
The dos & don’ts
The downside to waxing is that it can be slightly painful, especially if it isn’t done properly. If you choose the right wax and prep your skin properly, you can lead a life full of waxing success. If you follow these rules to waxing at home, you could avoid bumps, rashes or bruising. Whichever area you’re waxing – legs, underarms or the face, here’s what you need to know:
• Gather all your waxing kit in one place so you’re organised and not running around with wax on your legs trying to find your strips!
• Make sure your hair is no less than ¼ inch (which is about the length of a grain of rice)
• Before you begin, clean and dry the area you’re going to wax
• Try not to wax the same area more than once as this can cause a rash – use tweezers to get any rogue hairs
• Afterwards, soothe your skin with aloe vera or moisturiser
• Avoid scented products, and give swimming and sunbathing a miss for 24 hours afterwards to avoid any irritation. It also helps to wear loose clothing so your skin can breathe
The different types of waxing products
Wax strips are ready-to-use strips that just need warming up in your hands to remove the hair instantly. They come in different sizes and are ideal for fast results with very little mess, and there’s also specific ones for sensitive skin types. The only disadvantage with wax strips is they aren’t as effective on short hair as warm wax – try not to reapply strips to any areas you’ve already done though, as it can cause irritation.
How to use wax strips
• Make sure your skin is dry
• Warm with hands
• Firmly press the strip down in the direction of hair growth
• Check the strip is slightly hard and pull off in one swift movement in the opposite direction of hair growth
• Repeat until you’ve removed all of the unwanted hair
• Clean off any excess wax with a wipe, or soapy water
What’s roll-on wax?
Roll-on wax is the best option for achieving salon results at home. The wax needs to be heated to the instructed temperature and once it’s reached the exact temperature it can be spread over the hair you want removing. Try Veet Easy Wax Electrical Roll-on Kit – it does the hard work for you by heating the wax to the perfect temperature.
The heat from the wax then opens the hair follicles and, as it cools, it grips on to the hair, ready to be pulled in one go from the skin. Roll-on and warm wax can be so affective, you needn’t re-apply it more than once, but they’re messier than wax strips and can be tricky to apply on smaller areas.
How to use roll-on wax
• Heat the wax following the instructions
• Make sure your skin is dry – use talcum powder to soak up any moisture
• Apply the cooled wax with the roll-on in small sections, following the direction of the hair growth
• Place the strip on top of the wax, hold the skin taut and remove the strip in one swift movement, pulling the opposite way
How to wax your face
If you want to wax your face, choose a specific