Please note that this service is NOT suitable for Day 2 and Day 8 mandatory testing. To purchase kits for Day 2 & 8 please visit here.
IMPORTANT - Please ensure you use the email link provided once you have ordered your test to book the correct appointment type for the Rapid Antigen Test. Do not book a PCR test appointment if you require a same day Antigen test.
In-store COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Service
Get a private COVID-19 same day swab test result*
*Availability in selected stores, charges apply, £49.99 cost for the service. Subject to specially trained colleague and stock availability. You must register on the Recova-19 portal before booking your appointment (by clicking Order now). Appointments can be booked up to 28 days in advance.
In-store COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing ServiceWhat is the In-store COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Service?
Our In-store COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Service is a convenient way to get a nose swab antigen test to check for a current COVID-19 (coronavirus) infection. This isn’t a PCR test and it doesn’t have to be processed in a laboratory. Using a device for analysis of the test in store, our specially trained colleagues will be able to process your results the same day. Results will typically be available in as little as an hour after your test.*
This service is not suitable for anyone with symptoms of COVID-19, or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19. Please don’t book an appointment or come into store if you, anyone in your household or support bubble have symptoms of COVID-19. Instead, stay at home and follow the latest government guidance.
Simply fill in a registration form, upload your ID and enter your payment details on the Recova-19 portal by clicking Order now. After this step, you’ll receive an email link to book your appointment online at your selected Boots store. Full payment will only be taken once you arrive in store for your appointment. You’ll be able to leave the store as soon as you’ve had your swab taken. Once your result is ready, you’ll get an email to let you know your results are ready to view, and if negative, you'll be able to download your results certificate.
*Subject to specially trained colleague and stock availability. Available in selected stores
For the full list of stores which currently offer this service, please click here.
You must register your details on the ReCoVa-19 portal to order your test. You will then receive a link to book your appointment.
The In-store COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test is suitable for adults and children who are aged five years and over. This test is ideal for when a quick result is required for reassurance, such as attending an event, visiting a family member or for work purposes. It’s not suitable for anyone with symptoms of COVID-19, anyone self-isolating or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19. Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms can get a free NHS COVID-19 test.
This type of test is an antigen test, you must check whether the country or countries you are visiting and the airline you are flying with, specifically lists antigen tests among the types of tests they accept. If the country of destination or airline require a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) laboratory test result then this service will not be suitable. If a PCR test is required, book an appointment for our In-store COVID-19 Testing Service instead.
The testing and entry requirements for countries are regularly changing, so it’s important to be aware of the specific requirements for the country you are travelling to before booking a test. This information is available at: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.
This service costs £49.99
A pre-authorised payment is taken when you order the test but full payment is not activated until you arrive in store for your test. Please bring a second payment option to the appointment in case of any issues at the time the card is activated to ensure there are no delays to your test.
How it works
Book your appointment online
Order your test online through the Recova-19 portal then book your appointment online. Register your details, and upload your ID
Visit your chosen Boots store for your swab test
A member of our team will swab your nose. You’ll then be able to leave the store whilst your test is being processed
Get your result
Once your result is available, you’ll get an email to let you know it’s ready. You can then view your result by logging into the portal
Important informationHow long will my appointment take?
The appointment including taking the nose swab will take less than 10 minutes. You are then able to leave the store.
Please read this information carefully before coming in for your appointment.
• You are required to upload a form of photo ID on to the ReCoVa-19 portal to verify your identity. If travelling, this must be a passport, for other reasons any form of photo ID is accepted
• It’s important to ensure your full name, date of birth (and if you’re travelling) the passport number are entered correctly on to the ReCoVa-19 portal, as this is what will appear on your COVID-19 test certificate
• If you, anyone in your household or support bubble have any symptoms of COVID-19, or think they may have COVID-19, please don’t come into store for your appointment. Instead, please call the store to cancel your appointment, stay at home and follow the latest government guidance
• Remember to wear a face mask or covering and maintain social distancing whilst in store. We’re doing all we can in store to help keep our customers and colleagues safe. Find out more about safer appointments at Boots
• It’s very important that you arrive in store at the correct time for your appointment. If you’re late, we can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to re-schedule your appointment
• The store team will need to see the photo ID that was uploaded onto the portal. Please remember to bring this with you to your appointment as without this your test will not be able to go ahead.
• You’ll need to remove your face mask or covering for the swab test. As masks should only be touched with clean hands, we advise you bring hand sanitiser with you to your appointment
FAQsWhat is antigen testing?
Antigens are proteins found on the surface of viruses that are recognised and targeted by the immune system. An antigen test looks for antigens in a sample, to check if a person is currently infected with a specific pathogen, in this case SARS-CoV-2.
LumiraDx provide the testing machines and equipment to our stores, more information can be found on their website: https://www.lumiradx.com/uk-en/
WHO recommend that antigen tests for COVID-19 meet the minimum criteria of ≥80% sensitivity and ≥97% specificity. The Rapid Antigen Test offered at Boots has a sensitivity of 93.8% and a specificity of 98.8% (tested on symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals) which exceeds these minimum criteria.
Both tests check to see if the COVID-19 virus is currently in your body and both are extremely accurate. While COVID-19 PCR tests detect viral RNA, part of the genetic code of the virus, this COVID-19 Rapid Antigen test instead checks for a specific viral protein – SARS-CoV-2 antigen nucleocapsid protein. Unlike a PCR test, this COVID-19 Rapid Antigen test doesn’t have to be processed in a laboratory. Using a device in store, our specially trained colleagues will be able to process your results the same day.
The Covid-19 Rapid Antigen test is ideal for when a quick result is required for reassurance, such as attending an event, visiting a family member or for work purposes. If you’re using this test for travelling, it’s your responsibility to check that this test will be accepted in the country you’re travelling to. Some countries require confirmation of a negative PCR test result to permit entry into the country, so the Rapid Antigen test wouldn’t be suitable in this case. Entry requirements vary by country and the latest information and guidance can be found here.
ReCoVa-19 is the portal which facilitates the digital transfer of information and test results as part of the service.
You will receive an email to tell you that your result is ready. Results can be viewed by logging into the ReCoVa-19 portal.
You should log into the Recova-19 portal to check if your results are available as results typically take up to an hour before they become available. If it’s been over an hour since your swab appointment and your results are not available on the portal, please call the store to investigate.
Yes, for a negative result a certificate is available to download when your results are ready from the ReCoVa-19 portal.
No, this service is not part of the Government Test-to-Release scheme.
Appointments can only be given on an individual basis however we hope to offer group and family bookings in the future.
If you have any questions about the service, please contact our customer care team on 0345 1212837.** To view customer care opening hours please visit www.boots.com/contact-us.
** Local rates apply from BT landlines in the UK, other provider's charges may vary. Please check with your provider for details
• This service is not suitable for anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19 or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19. If you have any symptoms, please stay at home and follow government guidance
• The service is for people aged five years and over
• You must bring the photo ID that was uploaded on to the ReCoVa-19 portal to the appointment to verify your identity. If you’re travelling this must be a passport, for other reasons any form of photo ID is accepted
• We expect your results to be take around one hour to process and, whilst every effort will be made, we cannot guarantee results will be received within this time frame
• Boots will not be held liable for losses, costs, damage that you suffer or incur as a result of any delays in receiving test results or as a result of not being able to provide a test result within a set timeframe
• Boots will also not be liable to you for any losses, costs or damages that you suffer or incur as a result of receiving a positive test result (including if you’re unable to travel abroad as a result of testing positive)
• Boots will not be liable to you for any losses, costs or damages that you incur as a result of changes to Government Guidelines and testing requirements, and/or if you are unable to travel as a result of changing guidelines.
• Service is subject to appointment, specially trained colleague and stock availability
• We will not charge you if you cancel your order and appointment in advance due to showing symptoms of COVID-19 or a change in travel plans
• Boots colleagues in-store will not be able to provide you with your test result, this will be available to view by logging in to the ReCoVa-19 portal within an hour of your test
• You are responsible for booking the correct type of test for any travel and you should follow the latest Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) guidance
•‘It is a legal requirement that Boots as a provider of the service share all COVID-19 test results with Public Health England and the NHS Test and Trace Programme.
• Boots liability will not exceed the cost charged to the customer for the service, so far as is lawfully permitted
*If you have COVID-19 Symptoms you must follow the Government guidance, stay at home and arrange a free COVID-19 test via www.gov.uk. T&C's apply.