LEMSIP, STREPSILS & NUROFEN COLD & FLU
What causes cold & flu?
Cold and flu viruses are either inhaled from the air, when someone sneezes or coughs, or passed on by contact.1 If you have had contact with someone who is infected, or if you touch a surface they’ve come into contact with, you may transfer the germs from your hand to your nose, mouth or eyes.1,2
Cold & Flu: Secrets to help you not get sick
Colds and flu may be common. But if you take care of yourself, andothers around you, you can minimise the risks of getting sick.
Be careful when you come into contact with someone who is unwell
Make sure you wash your hands often with warm water and soap. Avoid sharing towels or household items (like cups) with people who are infected. Keep the home disinfected.3 Wipe down door handlesand kitchen areas, they’re particularly highly populated areas of the home.1
Stay fit and healthy2
Research shows people who exercise regularly are less likely to get a cold.4 A study of over 1000 people found that staying active almost halved the odds of catching cold viruses, and failing that, made the infection less severe.4 Experts reported to the British Journal of Sports Medicine that this is because exercise helps bolster the immune system to fight off germs.4
How to take care of colds & flu
Flu is more severe than a cold, but many of the symptoms are thesame. Usually, you don’t need to see your GP as a cold or flu will get better on its own. Antibiotics are not recommended as they are only effective against bacterial infections, and colds are caused by viruses.
Consider seeing your GP if:2
• Your symptoms do not improve after 3 weeks or suddenly get worse
• Your temperature is very high
• You feel short of breath or develop chest pain
• You have a long-term medical condition
• You have a weakened immune system
Otherwise take care of yourself:2
• Keep warm
• Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
• Try to take a medicine containing paracetamol or ibuprofen such as Lemsip Max Cold & Flu Lemon or Nurofen Day & Night Cold & Flu Capsules for fever, aches and pains