NHS Health Check Service
Learn how to lower your risk of developing cardiovascular disease or diabetes with the free in-store NHS assessment
Looking after your heart
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is any disease of the heart or blood vessels, which could lead to a stroke or heart attack. It's usually caused by high blood pressure and the build-up of fatty deposits in the blood vessels. CVD affects more than four million people in the UK, so it's really important to look after your heart.
What is an NHS Health Check?
The NHS Health Check Service, for people aged between 40 and 74, is available at selected Boots pharmacies in England. It can help you understand your chances of developing CVD over the next 10 years and what you can do to reduce any risk and help keep your heart healthy. It can also help you understand your risk of getting Type 2 diabetes.
Boots may be able to provide a free NHS Health Check if you:
- Are aged 40-74
- Live in England
- Haven't had an NHS Health Check within the last five years
- Are not pregnant
- Haven't ever had a heart attack or stroke
- Haven't been diagnosed with a blood disorder or high cholesterol
- Do not have diabetes or chronic kidney disease
- Are not taking medicines which affect your heart or blood vessels
- Are not taking statins
- Are not taking dopamine, methyldopa or any anticoagulant medication
If you are not eligible for the NHS Health Check or the service is not available in your area, our pharmacist will still be able to give you general advice on your risk of getting CVD and how to reduce it.
How it works
Have a consultation with a member of our healthcare team
You'll be asked about your lifestyle, medical and family history
Have some routine health checks
We'll measure your height, weight, waist, blood pressure and take a finger-prick sample of blood to check cholesterol
Chat through results
Learn your CVD, plus diabetes risk, and discuss an action plan
How will a Health Check help me?
After the health check, we'll put together an action plan for reducing your risk of getting CVD. This may include tips such as losing weight or stopping smoking. If you're over 65, you'll also be told about the signs and symptoms of dementia. If necessary, you'll be referred to your GP. Health Checks can help prevent 1600 heart attacks and strokes in the UK every year.
Benefits of the service
- Convenient: Available at over 120 Boots pharmacies in England
- Flexible: Many Boots pharmacies are open at the weekend
Before your consultation
Make sure you:
- Don't drink alcohol for at least 12 hours
- Don't drink caffeine for at least two hours
- Don't smoke for at least 20 minutes
You will need:
- Your GP details