Boots Hair Loss Online Clinic
Prescription-only hair loss tablets without a trip to the GP
What is male pattern baldness?
Male pattern baldness affects around half of all British men before they turn 50 and usually runs in the family because it is largely genetic.
It can start as early as your teens and the first signs are usually:
- A receding hairline
- Losing hair around the temples, then your crown
If you think you have male pattern baldness, our online clinic may be able to provide you with treatment to help stop further hair loss.
If you already have a prescription from your GP we can dispense it, either at your local Boots pharmacy, or via our online prescription service.
Who can use this service?
To use this service, you must be at least 18 years old and male. The service is only suitable for male pattern baldness and if it is suitable will provide access to treatment of a prescription only hair loss tablet called Propecia.*
If you think you’re experiencing any other form of hair loss, speak to your GP for advice.
How it works
We’ll ask you some questions to work out if the treatment is suitable for you
One of our clinicians will review your answers, usually within 24 hours, although this may take longer at weekends and bank holidays. Then, if the treatment is suitable for you, we’ll take payment for a four-week trial
You can collect your hair loss tablets from a Boots pharmacy, or get it delivered to you or a post office near you*
*Subject to stock availability and clinician approval
What results can I expect from this service?
Treatment for male pattern baldness aims to prevent further hair loss and increase hair growth. Studies show the treatment:
- Prevents further hair loss in nine out of ten men who stick with it
- Starts to produce results in as little as three months of continuous treatment
- Causes some new hair growth with long-term treatment in two out of three men
We sell several over-the-counter hair loss treatments online and in store. Our pharmacists can speak to you about your options. Propecia is the only hair loss prescription medication available through our service, once you have completed an online consultation.
Propecia contains the active ingredient finasteride which is used to help treat hair loss by reducing the level of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the scalp. The hormone causes hair follicles to shrink and eventually stop functioning, so hair growth slows down and may stop completely.
For full information about Propecia, including its possible side effects, please read the Patient Information Leaflet.
Before you start
Make sure you have read:
- The Patient Information Leaflet so you’re familiar with the medicine and its side effects. Depression and thoughts of suicide have been identified as rare side effects. This information is not yet on the patient information leaflet. If you experience either of these side effects while taking this medicine you should immediately stop taking it and seek medical advice
- The Patient Guide to Boots online clinics
During the online consultation you’ll need:
- Your GP’s details
- Your payment details
The online consultation takes approximately 10 minutes
Prices start at £49 for a four-week supply or £7.92 per week (if ordering a 24 week supply) for returning online customersView treatments
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
If you have any more questions, please read our online clinics FAQs.