Information & Advice
In the ensuing 15 years James has worked on numerous high-profile fashion shoots, campaigns and catwalk shows. In 2001 he was named the Elle Style Awards Hairdresser of the Year. His A-list clients include Sarah Jessica Parker, The Beckhams, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kirsten Dunst and Johnny Depp. One of six children of Irish Catholic parents, James adores horses and vintage YSL menswear!
1. What is your favourite ever hair tip?
I never spray hairspray directly onto the hair. I spray it onto the tips of my fingers and rub it into the scalp where I want to create volume - on the crown and sides. To smoothe hair, spray Hairspray onto the palm of your hand, rub together and then use your hands as tools to smooth flyaways down the hair.
2. What 3 products could you not live without?
Hairspray, Wax and Serum
3. What is your biggest hair-related disaster?
I think hair extensions are the worst thing!
4. Describe your look 10 years ago
Full shaved head - all on no.1.
5. What has been your career highlight so far?
Launching my own range of products, James Brown London. I thought about it 10 years ago and a couple years back, Kate said "why don't you just do it?"
6. Who do admire most in the industry?
Kate Moss and George Cortina (one of the best stylists in the world).
7. What is your favourite celebrity look/ which celeb do you think has the best hair?
I love it when Kate wears her hair simply - in that sexy, rock 'n roll way she's become so well-known for.
8. If you weren't in the hair industry, what would you be doing?
9. What do you envisage being the 'next big thing' within haircare?
Products that protect against the environment, anti-pollution etc.
10. What's the worst hair-related myth you have ever heard and want to put straight?
That you have to shampoo your hair twice at home. Absolute rubbish, this would be done in a salon if you've had colour or a treatment, but it adds nothing to your hair nor does it clean it any better if you shampoo twice
11. What is your opinion on natural and organic products?
Fantastic, wherever possible we've used natural ingredients in the James Brown London range instead of synthetics. For example my Serum contains Red Seaweed as an alternative to silicone.
Copyright © The Boots Company PLC. All rights reserved. Boots.com is a trading name of Boots UK Limited. Registered office: Nottingham NG2 3AA. Registered in England: company number 928555. Registered VAT number 116300129. For details of Boots registered internet pharmacies see Using Our Pharmacy Services page.