Information & Advice
Health & Beauty Magazine Online Editor
Published 17th November 2008
With so many people to buy for, but little time and a limited budget, Christmas shopping can be a challenge but our expert tips can help you through…
Here, our experts help Shoma Amin, 26, to shop for Christmas presents for her soon-to-be in-laws, Somesh and Sita.
• Jay Hunt is a lifestyle expert. She knows all the shopping tactics you need to get the job done.
• Benjamin Fry is a psychotherapist who can help people get to grips with the emotional side of spending.
• Janice Robertson is head of exclusive brands at Boots. She can advise on how to choose the right present.
Shoma Amin, 26, from Epsom, Surrey, is shopping for her soon-to-be in-laws, Somesh, 63, and Sita, 60.
'I'm getting married in January to David, my boyfriend of six years. As we're having a big wedding, Christmas needs to be kept to a strict budget. My prospective in-laws have been helping to organise the day, so I want to get them something to show my appreciation and also to let them know I’m looking forward to being their daughter-in-law.
‘Somesh is into games such as cards and Scrabble, so maybe I could get him something that we can all play together on Christmas night, which would be fun. He's also a huge cricket fan.’
'Sita likes little luxuries – she has quite expensive taste, is into her make-up and enjoys regular manicures, so I'm thinking that a pampering gift might be a good idea.’
• Jay: ‘Try internet shopping – that way David can help you choose in the comfort of your own home and without having to hit the high street. How about one present they’d both enjoy, such as a photo frame or a foodie gift to share?’
• Benjamin: ‘You could try teasing gift ideas out of them. Choosing something small that they've mentioned in passing would show that she cares.’
• Janice: An interactive game to test Somesh's knowledge of sport beyond cricket would be a good idea. Sita would be impressed with a luxury beauty kit. Try Boots’ online Beauty Boutique for ideas.’
• DVDi Nostalgia Game
Writen by Faye Rowe
Copyright © The Boots Company PLC. All rights reserved. Boots.com is a trading name of Boots UK Limited. Registered office: Nottingham NG2 3AA. Registered in England: company number 928555. Registered VAT number 116300129. For details of Boots registered internet pharmacies see Using Our Pharmacy Services page.