Information & Advice
Health & Beauty Magazine Online Editor
Published 17th November 2008
Here, our experts help Jackie Tillyer, 48, to buy a Christmas present for her mum, Pam.
• Jay Hunt is a lifestyle expert. She knows all the shopping tactics you need to get the job done.
• Benjamin Fry is a psychotherapist who can help people get to grips with the emotional side of spending.
• Janice Robertson is head of exclusive brands at Boots. She can advise on how to choose the right present.
Jackie Tillyer, 48, from Camberley, in Surrey, is shopping for her mum, Pam, who is 70.
'I always struggle to find gifts for those closest to me. I'm a single mum, so I haven't got a massive budget, but I want to treat my mum to something special this year.
'Mum can be difficult to buy for, as she often says she doesn't need anything, although she appreciates the occasional beauty treat and is still raving about the bottle of Protect & Perfect I bought for her birthday.
'She's the president of the local bowls club and also plays golf occasionally, so she's social and fairly active. Maybe an outdoorsy gift would be a nice surprise?
'Mum says she always likes my presents, but I worry about choosing something that’s right. This year, it would be such a joy to find a gift that she really loves.'
• Jay: ‘If you're struggling to decide, you could shop smarter by taking advantage of in-store promotions in Boots such as the “3 for 2” mix and match offers.’
• Benjamin: ‘It sounds like you might be trying to use the perfect present to prove you're the perfect daughter. Forget the anxiety and give your mum something you want to give her, even if it's a present you've given her before and know she'll love.’
• Janice says: ‘Many top beauty brands, such as Bliss and This Works, are developing diffusion lines, for people who want a slice of luxury at a price they can afford – perfect for those on a budget.’
Writen by Faye Rowe
Copyright © The Boots Company PLC. All rights reserved. Boots.com is a trading name of Boots UK Limited. Registered office: Nottingham NG2 3AA. Registered in England: company number 928555. Registered VAT number 116300129. For details of Boots registered internet pharmacies see Using Our Pharmacy Services page.