How to make a spa in a jar
Learn how to make your very own spa in a jar - the perfect pampering gift for Christmas
Sometimes there’s just nothing better than taking time to relax, especially when you’re caught up in the whirlwind of the holiday season. But we know in today’s world it’s hard to switch off, and even harder to do so guilt-free.
So this Christmas, wouldn’t it be lovely to treat someone you love to a bit of time?
With a spa in a jar, you can give someone the gift of relaxation and the chance to unwind for a moment. It doesn’t have to cost a lot, in fact, handpicking the perfect parts with thought and care could make it invaluable.
From candles to body butters to bath bombs, you can fill your jar with all their favourites, plus those little extras that’ll make it all the more special. Whether you throw in some chocolate (because she always gives her treats to the kids) or an iTunes gift card (because you know he’ll make the perfect chill-out playlist), you can make their me-time something they’ll really treasure.
Here are our steps, plus some top tips and ideas, for making your very own spa in a jar gift.
Step 1 - Choose your jar
This will depend entirely on how many little gifts you want to include. A standard jam or mason jar is ideal for just a couple of bits, whereas something larger like a bell jar is better if you’ve got some bigger products. It’s a good idea to choose one with a wide mouth so it’s easier to fill, and of course, make sure it’s made of glass so you can show off what’s inside.
Step 2 - Decorate
Now it’s time to let your creative side shine! There are plenty of ways to decorate your jar, from ribbons to bells to glitter. If you’re feeling particularly arty, you could even use some paint. Why not try dipping the bottom of the jar in two different colours?
Top tip: Make it feel extra festive with a sprig of holly or some seasonal greenery.
Step 3 - Fill with pampering products
When your jar is nicely decorated you can start to fill it with goodies. This is where you can really personalise your gift and tailor the contents to suit your loved one.
Here are a few of our favourite ideas for things to include:
- Shower gel – It’s a staple bathroom essential but one we don’t tend to give much thought to. Why not treat them to one that’s a little more indulgent?
- Hand cream – The winter weather can make hands dry, cracked and generally in need of a bit of TLC! A hand cream like Soap & Glory Hand Food will leave them feeling soft and nourished
- Bath bomb – Inject some fun into their relaxation routine with a colour explosion. The Miss Patisserie Miami Bath Ball will have them on the beach in Florida in no time – well, at least while they daydream in the bath!
- Oils – The ultimate indulgence body oil will transport them straight to the massage table. Sanctuary Spa Massage & Body Oil provides luxurious moisturisation without feeling greasy
- Nail polish – Time doing your nails is time well spent! Give them the incentive with the perfect polish in a shade they’ll love
- Lip balm – Help them keep dry lips at bay with a moisturising lip balm. Ted Baker Opulent Petal Lip Balm is a lovely glam option
- Face mask – No need to fork out for a facial when you can do it yourself! Sheet masks are perfect for this because they’re quick, compact and super fun
Top tip: If you’ve got gaps between products or some extra space to fill, why not add some more decorations, like wooden stars or colourful beads?
Step 4 - Label with love
Finish off your jar by attaching a label with your message. You can find a range of printable labels online if you don’t fancy making your own.