In order to buy non-prescription medicines you must be a registered user of our site as we are obliged to record your transaction history. We also ask that you complete our questionnaire so our pharmacy team can check that this product is suitable for you to buy.
Disabled or chronically sick people can claim VAT relief on purchases for personal or domestic use that are applicable to their disability or sickness.
Stock sold out
We're sorry, this product has sold out and we won't be receiving any further stock.
Collect 8 Boots Advantage Card points with this purchase
This Medicine is sold by BOOTS UK LIMITED at the professional discretion of a Boots pharmacist.
Please note that you must be in to sign for this delivery.
We need to ensure that this medicine is suitable for the person it is intended for. Therefore a Boots pharmacist may be required to contact you by phone to find out some additional information. If they are unable to speak to you when required your order may be delayed or the pharmacy medicine part of your order cancelled.
Please ensure your contact details are correct before ordering this medicine.
For symptomatic relief of diarrhoea and upset stomachs.
This medicine contains kaolin to help remove toxic substances from the digestive system and increase the bulk of solid waste. It also contains sodium bicarbonate which neutralizes excess stomach acid and morphine which calms the gut.
What the medicine looks like:
Kaolin & Morphine Mixture is a pale brown suspension which separates on standing. It is supplied in 200ml bottles.
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years
You must be at least 16 years old to purchase this product
How to use
SHAKE THE BOTTLE. Take the suspension by mouth.
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years: Take 2 x 5ml spoonfuls. Repeat up to three times a day if required.
Do not give to children under 12 years old.
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
Do not take with alcoholic or hot drinks.
Hazards and Cautions
Before you use this medicine
Do not use the medicine if you or your child have:
- An allergy to any of the ingredients listed below.
- A blocked intestine or bowel problems.
- Liver disease.
- Shallow breath or breathing difficulties or during an asthma attack.
- A head injury or persistent headache.
- Fits or seizures.
- A coma.
- Taken MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) for depression within the last two weeks.
- An addiction to alcohol.
- High levels of alkali in the blood.
- Low levels of calcium in the blood.
- Reduced stomach acid.
- Heart failure.
- Kidney problems.
- Liver problems.
- High or low blood pressure.
- Prostate trouble.
- An under active thyroid.
- A low sodium diet.
- Or are taking steroids.
- Or you are elderly, or weakened, as elderly people can react differently to the medicine and may need a lower dose.
- Any tranquilisers, sleeping tablets, anti depressants or medicines for mental illness (including MAOIs, tricyclics, moclobemide, phenothiazines)
- Antihistamines which cause drowsiness
- Antibiotics e.g. ciprofloxacin, tetracycline
- Medicines to regulate heartbeat e.g. esmolol
- Antivirals e.g. ritonavir
- Gabapentin, for epilepsy
- Domperidone or metoclopramide - which stop you feeling or being sick
- Cimetidine for a stomach ulcer
- Sodium oxybate for serious daytime sleepiness
- Chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine - to prevent or treat malaria
- Any other medicine as this medicine may interfere with their action
Kaolin & Morphine Mixture should not be used in pregnancy or breastfeeding unless the doctor has told you to do so.
Driving and using machines:
This medicine may cause drowsiness. If you are affected do not drive or operate machinery.
Important ingredient information:
- This product contains sucrose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
- It also contains a small amount of ethanol (alcohol), less than 100mg per 5ml.
- This product contains 6.4mmol (or 148mg) of sodium per 10ml dose. To be taken into account by patients on a controlled sodium diet.
- It also contains sodium methyl and sodium propyl hydroxybenzoates (E219, E217) which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed)
Like all medicines, Kaolin & Morphine Mixture can have side effects, although these don’t affect everyone
Possible side effects are:
- Stomach cramps
- Feeling or being sick
- Difficulty in passing water
- Dry mouth
- Facial flushing
- Low body heat
- Mood changes
- Pinpoint pupils
- Low sexual urge
- Skin rash and itching
- Low blood pressure
- Abnormal heartbeat
- An increased sensitivity to pain
If you notice these or any other side effects, stop use and tell your doctor or pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
Reporting of side effects:
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed on the label. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
By reporting side effects you can help provide information about the safety of this medicine.
If you accidentally take too much see a doctor straight away. Take the pack with you to show which medicine you have swallowed.
- Do not use after the expiry date. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month
- Return any unused medicine to the pharmacy for disposal
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- This is a medicine; Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy, or if symptoms persist.
- Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies.
Kaolin, Sodium Bicarbonate, Morphine Hydrochloride
Active ingredients per 5ml: kaolin light 1g, sodium bicarbonate 250mg, morphine hydrochloride 0.458mg.
Also contains: amongst other ingredients: ethanol, sucrose. Sodium 68 mg/5ml, alcohol 0.55 vol%.