One gram of cream contains 100mg Docosanol.
See details below, always read the label
In order to buy non-prescription medicines you must be a registered user of our site as we are obliged to record your transaction history. We also ask that you complete our questionnaire so our pharmacy team can check that this product is suitable for you to buy.
Disabled or chronically sick people can claim VAT relief on purchases for personal or domestic use that are applicable to their disability or sickness.
Collect 24 Boots Advantage Card points with this purchase
This Medicine is sold by BOOTS UK LIMITED at the professional discretion of a Boots pharmacist.
Unfortunately, next day home delivery is unavailable for this product.
Please note that you must be in to sign for this delivery.
We need to ensure that this medicine is suitable for the person it is intended for. Therefore a Boots pharmacist may be required to contact you by phone to find out some additional information. If they are unable to speak to you when required your order may be delayed or the pharmacy medicine part of your order cancelled.
Please ensure your contact details are correct before ordering this medicine.
How Blistex Cold Sore Cream works
Clinically proven Blistex Cold Sore Cream works differently to anything else on the market. It’s the only treatment in the UK to contain the unique active ingredient docosanol, which when applied at first tingle, gets to work earlier in the cold sore cycle and penetrates the skin to block the virus. Only available from pharmacies, it’s a new way to treat cold sores.
How is Blistex Cold Sore Cream different?
Clinically proven Blistex Cold Sore Cream is the only treatment in the UK to contain docosanol, which penetrates the skin to help block the virus. Docosanol gets to work at an earlier stage in the infection process than other cold sore treatments. Whilst aciclovir and penciclovir start working once the virus enters the cells, docosanol acts as a barrier to help block the virus from entering healthy cells.Other anti-viral treatments contain aciclovir and penciclovir which work when the cells have already been infected with the cold sore virus.
Adults and Children aged 12 years and over
You must be at least 16 years old to purchase this product.
How to use
Please read the enclosed leaflet carefully before use.
Clinically proven Blistex Cold Sore Cream is most effective when applied in the early stages of a cold sore. Start using Blistex Cold Sore Cream as soon as you get any cold sore symptoms. These include redness, itching, pain, tingling or prickling. Apply to the affected area 5 times a day, at approximately 3 hour intervals. Continue use until the cold sore is healed, usually after 4-6 days but to a maximum of 10 days. Do not start treatment with cream at the stage of an already developed blister or ulcer.
Hazards and Cautions
- Blistex Cold Sore Cream contains propylene glycol which can cause skin irritation.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Do not use after the expiry date which is stated on the carton as “Expiry date month/year”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. The cream is stable for 6 months after first opening the tube.
- Children under 12 years should not use Blistex Cold Sore Cream.
- Ensure that it is stored out of the reach and sight of children.
- This is a medicine; Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy, or if symptoms persist.
- Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies.
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
Active ingredients: 10% Docosanol. One gram of cream contains 100mg Docosanol.
Also contains: Sucrose stearates, Light mineral oil, Propylene glycol, Benzyl alcohol and Purified water.